Professional Development Day: Kids in the Hall

On Thursday February 2nd, 2012, Brock held a PD conference called Kids in the Hall.   

"This participatory, workshop-based, PD will help you to get to know the kids, their complex lives, and how to impact the learning of the kids in the hall," Brock University. 

 The workshops available are:
The Kid Who Can't Sit Still
The Kid of the Faith You Don't Understand
The Grieving Kid
The Kid Who May Have Addictive Tendencies
The Kid Who Gets
Hurt!
The GLBTQ Kid (Positive Space)
The Disruptive Kid
The Kid Who Doesn't Want to Speak French
The Kid With Communication Concerns

My Personal Experience for Kids in the Hall 


I got the chance to attend two sessions: kids with addictive tendencies and the grieving child. 
 Addictive Tendencies
Usually when I hear word addicts I think of adult drug addicts. This session challenged my thinking and explained that children are also addicts. Some of the addictive behaviors that we covered were gaming and gambling. I found that children start to become addictive to gaming, gambling, and drugs at a very early age, early middle school.
Grieving Child
This workshop helped me understand and support grieving children.This session started by asking us if we would like to share a personal story of loss. I always knew that family members were important to children but I never knew that pets were just as important. I also found that children at different ages grieve differently.


I can say without a doubt these two sessions were amazing. I would highly recommend everyone attending this PD.These sessions were extremely helpful.

Recommendations
- Teachers be able to attend all of the sessions.  
- This PD would of been useful in the beginning of the school year.
- Create sessions for children that could be integrated into schools. I think this would help children understand themselves better and create better community within schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment